St George’s Museum and Archives

Introduction
Visitor Information
Events & Exhibitions
How To Find Us
Contact Us

St George’s Museum and Archives


The museum and archive document the history of St George’s, and the collections include archival records, artefacts, artworks, photographs and pathological specimens.

The history of St George’s extends to 1733, and the opening of St George’s Hospital at Hyde Park Corner, London. Although the medical school (now university) was not formally established until 1834, from the beginning the surgeons and physicians of St George’s were able to take pupils, and several medical and anatomical schools were associated with St George’s. The university is currently located in Tooting, South London, and continues to share the site with St George’s Hospital.

The archival collections include administrative papers, student and staff records, nursing records, records of clubs and societies, research records, publications, photographs, artworks and rare books from the old Medical School Library. The museum collections include artefacts relating to medical history and pathological specimens housed in the Museum of Human Diseases, first established in the 1840s from the collections of Sir Benjamin Collins Brodie. The Museum has played an integral part in teaching at St George’s since the early 19th century, and St George’s post mortem collection offers insights and information on anatomical education and the practices of collecting pathological specimens.