The Langdon Down Museum of Learning Disability at Normansfield in Teddington, was the home and institution developed by the Victorian physician Dr John Langdon Down and his family where a revolutionary and enlightened approach was developed for the care of people with learning disabilities.
The museum includes displays about the work of Dr John Langdon Down and the history of Normansfield from 1868 to 1997. Also on display are objects from the Royal Earlswood Asylum and artefacts made by James Henry Pullen (1835–1916), a savant known as the Genius of Earlswood Asylum. This includes his ships, a model of Brunel’s Great Eastern, paintings and other objects.
The building contains a Grade II* listed Victorian theatre. This rare example of a private theatre contains original painted scenery and other ornate fixtures and fittings.
The Langdon Down Museum of Learning Disability is owned and managed by the Down’s Syndrome Association. The museum contributes to the social history of learning disability.
The archive acquires artefacts, documents, photographs and other materials of historical importance.
Regular scheduled talks and tours.